Football Helmet Collectors
Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
arthurwayne8

Rookie
Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #16 
This is my JEWEL. Peyton Manning Colt Helmet used signed by Peyton Manning - Edgerrin James - Marvin Harrison and Dwight Freeney

Attached Images
jpeg 20171003_192054.jpg (178.37 KB, 17 views)
jpeg 20171003_192115.jpg (164.57 KB, 15 views)
jpeg 20171003_192133.jpg (285.57 KB, 13 views)
jpeg 20171003_192149.jpg (129.49 KB, 10 views)
jpeg 20171003_192223.jpg (200.55 KB, 12 views)

0
Wolfpack1315

Rookie
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #17 
A very tough question - I'll pick two of my favorites - a 2001 Rams gamer by NCSU star Torry Holt worn late 2001 season and SB XXXVII running back Michael Pittman of the TB Bucs.

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_6316.JPG (389.91 KB, 6 views)
jpeg IMG_6317.JPG (348.21 KB, 6 views)
jpeg IMG_6318.JPG (434.63 KB, 4 views)
jpeg IMG_6319.JPG (332.15 KB, 4 views)
jpeg IMG_6320.JPG (361.67 KB, 5 views)
jpeg IMG_6321.JPG (416.47 KB, 4 views)
jpeg IMG_6322.JPG (504.72 KB, 4 views)

0
Wolfpack1315

Rookie
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurwayne8
This is my JEWEL. Peyton Manning Colt Helmet used signed by Peyton Manning - Edgerrin James - Marvin Harrison and Dwight Freeney
Love this gamer! I've looked at several Manning helmets yet haven't pulled trigger yet - a beaut!
0
Draf

Member
Registered:
Posts: 33
Reply with quote  #19 
One of my "full" restorations has always been a favorite for me. This Tony Dorsett rookie year helmet started as a very rough, garage sale red high school helmet with no facemask. DorsettRookie 01.png
0
Toymkr73

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draf
One of my "full" restorations has always been a favorite for me. This Tony Dorsett rookie year helmet started as a very rough, garage sale red high school helmet with no facemask. DorsettRookie 01.png


That's awesome.. Do you have a before shot [smile]
0
Draf

Member
Registered:
Posts: 33
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymkr73
That's awesome.. Do you have a before shot [smile]

Here is a "before" Dorsett Rookie pic. TonyDorsettRookieBefore.png 

0
Helmets

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 81
Reply with quote  #22 
Great helmet Draf. Here is mine. You will notice that mine is a "ridge" helmet but in an HC20 model not the HND9 model. The difference is that the HC20 has a six point suspension - notice the rivet in the front center stripe, and vinyl dipped side padding instead of the leather wrapped vinyl padding that the HND9 has. I too found it as an old high school helmet and redid it.

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_7790.JPG (634.27 KB, 11 views)
jpeg IMG_7791.JPG (578.71 KB, 10 views)
jpeg IMG_7792.JPG (608.45 KB, 8 views)
jpeg IMG_7793.JPG (624.28 KB, 8 views)
jpeg IMG_2035.JPG (57.98 KB, 10 views)


__________________
Buying game used Packer helmets and game used helmets of Hall of Famers

0
Draf

Member
Registered:
Posts: 33
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmets
Great helmet Draf. Here is mine. You will notice that mine is a "ridge" helmet but in an HC20 model not the HND9 model. The difference is that the HC20 has a six point suspension - notice the rivet in the front center stripe, and vinyl dipped side padding instead of the leather wrapped vinyl padding that the HND9 has. I too found it as an old high school helmet and redid it.

Awesome. Cool that we both had the same project in the past. I can only find two other players that wore a ridge — Terry Bradshaw and Richard Todd. Do you know of any other players to wear one besides these two (and Tony D.)?
0
Draf

Member
Registered:
Posts: 33
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmets
Great helmet Draf. Here is mine. You will notice that mine is a "ridge" helmet but in an HC20 model not the HND9 model. The difference is that the HC20 has a six point suspension - notice the rivet in the front center stripe, and vinyl dipped side padding instead of the leather wrapped vinyl padding that the HND9 has. I too found it as an old high school helmet and redid it.


Here are other angles of my TD rookie helmet.

TD rookie helmet 02.png  TD rookie helmet 03.png  TD rookie helmet 04.png  TD rookie helmet 05.png 

0
Helmets

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 81
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draf

Awesome. Cool that we both had the same project in the past. I can only find two other players that wore a ridge — Terry Bradshaw and Richard Todd. Do you know of any other players to wear one besides these two (and Tony D.)?

Those are the three that come to mind. There was just a Chiefs ridge listed on eBay in the last couple of weeks. Looked good. #21 written on the inside - which seemed good to me - as I have some Chiefs from the same era with the same markings. #21 was a fullback - Arnold Margado who played for the Chiefs from '77 through 1980, which makes sense as the Ridge helmet was made in '77 and '78. I tried to find a match but with the couple small grainy photos of Margado that I found I could not tell if he was wearing one or not.

__________________
Buying game used Packer helmets and game used helmets of Hall of Famers
0
Toymkr73

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draf

Here is a "before" Dorsett Rookie pic. TonyDorsettRookieBefore.png 


That's quite a transformation!!
0
Toymkr73

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmets

Those are the three that come to mind. There was just a Chiefs ridge listed on eBay in the last couple of weeks. Looked good. #21 written on the inside - which seemed good to me - as I have some Chiefs from the same era with the same markings. #21 was a fullback - Arnold Margado who played for the Chiefs from '77 through 1980, which makes sense as the Ridge helmet was made in '77 and '78. I tried to find a match but with the couple small grainy photos of Margado that I found I could not tell if he was wearing one or not.


What was the benefit of the "ridge"?
Was this a helmet that was widely used in college as well?
0
Helmets

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 81
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymkr73


What was the benefit of the "ridge"?
Was this a helmet that was widely used in college as well?


The Rawlings helmets had a tendency to crack where the facemask was mounted as this was a weak area of the helmet. To correct this in the interim, they thickened that area all the way around the helmet. They only did this two years, 1977 and 1978.

__________________
Buying game used Packer helmets and game used helmets of Hall of Famers
0
Toymkr73

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmets


The Rawlings helmets had a tendency to crack where the facemask was mounted as this was a weak area of the helmet. To correct this in the interim, they thickened that area all the way around the helmet. They only did this two years, 1977 and 1978.


Thanks for the info.. Very interesting
Now I need to look for one if these for my collection 😆

I imagine they are pretty rare??
0
Helmets

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 81
Reply with quote  #30 
Very rare indeed. Rawlings lost share due to the cracking. They were only made for two years and most of them destroyed back in the 80s. Just used high school helmets will bring upwards of $500 if the seller knows what the have and the helmet is complete with jaw pads. The jaw pads had a unique snap pattern so Riddell and BIKE jaw pads do not fit them. They are also as rare as the helmets themselves as many helmets are found without the jaw pads. Then you have to find a set to fit.
__________________
Buying game used Packer helmets and game used helmets of Hall of Famers
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.